How do other illnesses affect stable angina?

Angina is often caused by coronary artery disease. High blood pressure increases the risk of coronary artery disease and angina because it can harm arteries. Diabetes also increases the risk of coronary artery disease. High cholesterol may lead to narrowing of the arteries that allow blood to flow to the heart, increasing the risk of angina.

Anemia, in which there are not enough red blood cells to carry adequate oxygen to the body, can also result in angina.

Continue Learning about Angina

Angina Pectoris (Chest Pain)
Angina Pectoris (Chest Pain)
What is angina pectoris? Angina is temporary pain or discomfort in the chest that occurs when not enough oxygen-carrying blood reaches your heart musc...
What is the difference between stable and unstable angina?
Yolanda Y. Hendley, MDYolanda Y. Hendley, MD
The most common forms of angina are stable and unstable angina. If the pain happens during certain a...
What should I do if I think I have unstable or variant angina?
If you think you are having an episode of unstable or variant angina, you need to seek emergency med...
Is Angina Related to Heart Attacks?
Is Angina Related to Heart Attacks?