How do other illnesses affect stable angina?

Diana Meeks
Diana Meeks on behalf of Sigma Nursing

Angina is often caused by coronary artery disease. High blood pressure increases the risk of coronary artery disease and angina because it can harm arteries. Diabetes also increases the risk of coronary artery disease. High cholesterol may lead to narrowing of the arteries that allow blood to flow to the heart, increasing the risk of angina.

Anemia, in which there are not enough red blood cells to carry adequate oxygen to the body, can also result in angina.

Continue Learning about Angina

How common is angina?
Angina is fairly common. About 350,000 people are diagnosed with angina each year in the United Stat...
How can warming up help prevent exercise-induced angina?
Anthony L. Komaroff, MDAnthony L. Komaroff, MD
A fascinating occurrence called the "warm-up phenomenon" has puzzled doctors for decades. In the...
What should I do if I think I have unstable or variant angina?
If you think you are having an episode of unstable or variant angina, you need to seek emergency med...
Is Angina Related to Heart Attacks?
Is Angina Related to Heart Attacks?