Is microvascular angina serious?

Serious problems can result if microvascular angina is left untreated. Causes of microvascular angina --such as smoking, high cholesterol, high blood pressure, diabetes, and obesity - can damage the arteries of the heart due to plaque buildup. This can put a strain on the heart and can lead to heart failure. In addition to restricting the blood flow, the plaque that forms on the arteries can also break off and cause blood clots that block the coronary arteries. Because of this, it's important to talk to your doctor right away if you notice any symptoms of microvascular angina.

Continue Learning about Angina

Angina Pectoris (Chest Pain)
Angina Pectoris (Chest Pain)
What is angina pectoris? Angina is temporary pain or discomfort in the chest that occurs when not enough oxygen-carrying blood reaches your heart musc...
How can I prevent angina?
Yolanda Y. Hendley, MDYolanda Y. Hendley, MD
Lifestyle choices can decrease angina symptoms and reduce your heart risks. Within weeks, you could ...
What should I do if I think I have unstable or variant angina?
If you think you are having an episode of unstable or variant angina, you need to seek emergency med...
What Is Stable Angina?
What Is Stable Angina?