Is there a cure for unstable angina?

Dr. Jeanne Morrison, PhD

Unstable angina is a medical emergency, but one for which there are very effective surgical treatments. However, there is no magic cure. Preventing unstable angina and avoiding heart attacks are the main goals of treating coronary artery disease and chronic stable angina. Medications are often used. A successful treatment plan will often incorporate lifestyle changes such as quitting smoking and staying at a healthy weight, as both obesity and smoking not only increase your risk of angina, they make heart attack more likely. Exercise and eating a diet high in whole grains, fruits, and vegetables are also often part of a successful treatment plan.

Continue Learning about Angina

What are the types of angina?
Piedmont Heart InstitutePiedmont Heart Institute
The most common types of angina are stable angina and unstable angina. A rare type of angina is call...
When should I seek immediate help if I have angina?
Riverside Heart and Vascular CenterRiverside Heart and Vascular Center
If you have angina, never drive a vehicle when you are having chest pain! If you have any of the fol...
How can I prevent angina?
You are in control of many of the factors that increase your risk of coronary artery disease and ang...
Is Angina Related to Heart Attacks?
Is Angina Related to Heart Attacks?