How can warming up help prevent exercise-induced angina?

Anthony L. Komaroff, MD
A fascinating occurrence called the "warm-up phenomenon" has puzzled doctors for decades. In the clinic, it can be demonstrated by having a patient do two exercise tests, one right after the other. Many people with problems in the blood vessels nourishing the heart will be able to exercise longer and with less or no chest pain (angina) on the second exercise test. Several physiological mechanisms have been proposed for this, but no explanation has emerged.

The best message for people with coronary artery disease is to warm up before exercising so you can get in a good long walk at a moderate pace. This allows you to reap the many benefits of exercise without having to deal with chest pain.

If your episodes of angina are affecting your daily life and you haven't talked with your doctor about it, I urge you to do so. It may be possible to adjust your medications to prevent many of the episodes. Angioplasty or bypass surgery may also be an option if angina is getting in the way of an active life. Although these procedures generally don't prolong life, they are very effective at reducing angina.

Continue Learning about Angina

Understanding Chest Pain (Angina Pectoris)
What is angina pectoris? Angina is temporary pain or discomfort in the chest that occurs when not enough oxygen-carrying blood reaches your heart musc...
What should I do if I think I have unstable or variant angina?
If you think you are having an episode of unstable or variant angina, you need to seek emergency med...
Is angina serious?
Angina can be serious. Stable angina, if untreated, can lead to more serious problems. Unstable angi...
Could Your Chest Pain Be Angina?
Could Your Chest Pain Be Angina?