How does variant angina affect the body?

Variant angina causes sudden pain in the chest, arms, and back. The pain may be severe, or it may feel like pressure, an ache, or fullness in the chest. In variant angina, a coronary artery has had a spasm, causing the artery to narrow. This can be of short or long duration, but is more dangerous the longer it lasts. If the heart does not receive enough blood flow, you may have a heart attack.

Continue Learning about Angina

Angina Pectoris (Chest Pain)
Angina Pectoris (Chest Pain)
What is angina pectoris? Angina is temporary pain or discomfort in the chest that occurs when not enough oxygen-carrying blood reaches your heart musc...
How common is angina?
Angina is fairly common. About 350,000 people are diagnosed with angina each year in the United Stat...
What should I do if I think I have unstable or variant angina?
If you think you are having an episode of unstable or variant angina, you need to seek emergency med...
Could Your Chest Pain Be Angina?
Could Your Chest Pain Be Angina?