How should I prepare for an appointment to diagnose microvascular angina?

Dr. Jeanne Morrison, PhD

It's important to be prepared for what to expect if you see your doctor for microvascular angina. Your doctor usually performs a complete physical exam if you are having chest pains. Included in the physical exam are questions regarding your symptoms, risk factors, and your family history of heart disease. Cholesterol levels will be checked to see if cholesterol is clogging your arteries. A 12 hour fast (no food or drink) may be required to get an accurate result. Since coronary heart disease symptoms are similar to microvascular angina, the large, main arteries of your heart will be checked first to eliminate other possibilities.

Continue Learning about Angina

What causes angina?
Coronary artery disease (CAD) is frequently the cause of angina. In coronary artery disease, arterie...
What are the types of angina?
Piedmont Heart InstitutePiedmont Heart Institute
The most common types of angina are stable angina and unstable angina. A rare type of angina is call...
What triggers angina?
Anthony L. Komaroff, MDAnthony L. Komaroff, MD
Common angina triggers include: Walking briskly outside on a cold, windy, or humid dayHurrying wit...
How can I prevent angina?
You are in control of many of the factors that increase your risk of coronary artery disease and ang...