How do other illnesses affect angina?

Angina is often caused by coronary artery disease. High blood pressure increases the risk of coronary artery disease and angina because it can harm arteries. People who experience chronic stable angina may have increased risk Illnesses that are related to coronary artery disease increase the risk of angina. Learn more from our sources. of unstable angina. Diabetes also increases the risk of coronary artery disease. High cholesterol may lead to narrowing of the arteries that allow blood to flow to the heart, increasing the risk of angina.

Severe anemia, in which there are not enough red blood cells to carry adequate oxygen to the body, can also result in angina. Certain conditions can increase the risk of variant angina, a rare type of angina caused by a coronary artery spasm. Illnesses that increase the risk of variant angina include lupus, arteritis, or Kawasaki disease.

Continue Learning about Angina

Angina Pectoris (Chest Pain)
Angina Pectoris (Chest Pain)
What is angina pectoris? Angina is temporary pain or discomfort in the chest that occurs when not enough oxygen-carrying blood reaches your heart musc...
How can I prevent angina?
Sigma NursingSigma Nursing
You are in control of many of the factors that increase your risk of coronary artery disease and ang...
When should I call my doctor if I have angina?
Riverside Heart and Vascular CenterRiverside Heart and Vascular Center
If you have angina, then call your doctor if: Your skin is itchy or you get a rash. Your angina is ...
Could Your Chest Pain Be Angina?
Could Your Chest Pain Be Angina?