How do other illnesses affect angina?

Angina is often caused by coronary artery disease. High blood pressure increases the risk of coronary artery disease and angina because it can harm arteries. People who experience chronic stable angina may have increased risk Illnesses that are related to coronary artery disease increase the risk of angina. Learn more from our sources. of unstable angina. Diabetes also increases the risk of coronary artery disease. High cholesterol may lead to narrowing of the arteries that allow blood to flow to the heart, increasing the risk of angina.

Severe anemia, in which there are not enough red blood cells to carry adequate oxygen to the body, can also result in angina. Certain conditions can increase the risk of variant angina, a rare type of angina caused by a coronary artery spasm. Illnesses that increase the risk of variant angina include lupus, arteritis, or Kawasaki disease.

Continue Learning about Angina

Angina Pectoris (Chest Pain)
Angina Pectoris (Chest Pain)
What is angina pectoris? Angina is temporary pain or discomfort in the chest that occurs when not enough oxygen-carrying blood reaches your heart musc...
What should I do if I think I have unstable or variant angina?
If you think you are having an episode of unstable or variant angina, you need to seek emergency med...
What triggers angina?
Anthony L. Komaroff, MDAnthony L. Komaroff, MD
Common angina triggers include: Walking briskly outside on a cold, windy, or humid dayHurrying wit...
Is Angina Related to Heart Attacks?
Is Angina Related to Heart Attacks?