How do medications treat unstable angina?

If you have unstable angina and seek emergency medical care, it is likely that you will be treated with either an angioplasty or coronary bypass surgery. Unstable angina is a life-threatening medical condition.

However, since people who experience unstable angina often have coronary artery disease, your doctor may want to you to take medications that may prevent another incident of unstable angina. These include aspirin, which helps blood flow more easily, and statins, which reduce the amount of cholesterol in the blood and can even reduce cholesterol buildup. Nitrates, calcium channel blockers, and beta blockers are often used to treat angina, because they all cause blood vessels to become more open so that blood can flow.

Continue Learning about Angina

Understanding Chest Pain (Angina Pectoris)
What is angina pectoris? Angina is temporary pain or discomfort in the chest that occurs when not enough oxygen-carrying blood reaches your heart musc...
What causes angina?
Coronary artery disease (CAD) is frequently the cause of angina. In coronary artery disease, arterie...
What should I do if I think I have unstable or variant angina?
If you think you are having an episode of unstable or variant angina, you need to seek emergency med...
What Is Stable Angina?
What Is Stable Angina?