How do medications treat stable angina?

Diana Meeks
Diana Meeks on behalf of Sigma Nursing

A number of medications are used, often in combination, to treat stable angina. These include aspirin, which helps blood flow more easily, and statins, which reduce the amount of cholesterol in the blood and can even reduce cholesterol buildup. Nitrates, calcium channel blockers, and beta blockers are often used to treat angina, because they all cause blood vessels to become more open so that blood can flow.

Continue Learning about Angina

What is angina?
Angina refers to chest pain produced when blood flow to the heart is low. When blood flow is low, th...
What triggers angina?
Anthony L. Komaroff, MDAnthony L. Komaroff, MD
Common angina triggers include: Walking briskly outside on a cold, windy, or humid dayHurrying wit...
When should I call my doctor if I have angina?
Riverside Heart and Vascular CenterRiverside Heart and Vascular Center
If you have angina, then call your doctor if: Your skin is itchy or you get a rash. Your angina is ...
What causes angina?
Coronary artery disease (CAD) is frequently the cause of angina. In coronary artery disease, arterie...