How is variant angina diagnosed?

The symptoms of variant angina-such as sudden pain or pressure in the chest and shortness of breath-are similar to the symptoms of a heart attack. Both of these are conditions needing emergency medical attention and are often diagnosed in the hospital when people go to the emergency room for care. It is difficult to tell by symptoms alone whether the chest pain is variant angina or heart attack, but certain tests help doctors distinguish between causes of chest pain. An electrocardiogram (ECG) gives doctors information about the electrical signal that tells your heart to beat. An ECG test during an episode of variant angina can help doctors know if you are having angina or a heart attack.

Continue Learning about Angina

Angina Pectoris (Chest Pain)
Angina Pectoris (Chest Pain)
What is angina pectoris? Angina is temporary pain or discomfort in the chest that occurs when not enough oxygen-carrying blood reaches your heart musc...
What is angina?
Angina is chest pain that occurs if an area of your heart muscle doesn’t get enough oxygen. A heart ...
When should I seek immediate help if I have angina?
Riverside Heart and Vascular CenterRiverside Heart and Vascular Center
If you have angina, never drive a vehicle when you are having chest pain! If you have any of the fol...
Could Your Chest Pain Be Angina?
Could Your Chest Pain Be Angina?