How is stable angina diagnosed?

Doctors use a combination of exams, medical history, and testing to diagnose stable angina. A diagnosis of stable angina often begins with a physical exam and a discussion of your medical history and symptoms. Then, one or more tests may be used for diagnosis. Among other tests, X-rays, computerized tomography scans (CT scans), and echocardiograms are used to make an image of the heart, while electrocardiograms and stress tests measure how well the heart is functioning. Blood tests can also provide data to help with diagnosis.

Continue Learning about Angina

Angina Pectoris (Chest Pain)
Angina Pectoris (Chest Pain)
What is angina pectoris? Angina is temporary pain or discomfort in the chest that occurs when not enough oxygen-carrying blood reaches your heart musc...
What are the types of angina?
Jack E. Dawson Jr., MDJack E. Dawson Jr., MD
Angina may present during exertion, emotional upsets, at rest and in the night. It may occur shortly...
When should I call my doctor if I have angina?
Riverside Heart and Vascular CenterRiverside Heart and Vascular Center
If you have angina, then call your doctor if: Your skin is itchy or you get a rash. Your angina is ...
What Is Stable Angina?
What Is Stable Angina?