How does high cholesterol contribute to angina?

The narrowing, or atherosclerosis, that occurs in the arteries happens when deposits called plaques build up inside the arteries. Cholesterol is part of these plaques, so having high "bad" cholesterol can increase the atherosclerosis that occurs in the arteries. This can limit blood flow to the heart, causing angina.

Picture of plaque in coronary artery

Continue Learning about Angina

Understanding Chest Pain (Angina Pectoris)
What is angina pectoris? Angina is temporary pain or discomfort in the chest that occurs when not enough oxygen-carrying blood reaches your heart musc...
When should I call my doctor if I have angina?
Riverside Heart and Vascular CenterRiverside Heart and Vascular Center
If you have angina, then call your doctor if: Your skin is itchy or you get a rash. Your angina is ...
What is the difference between stable and unstable angina?
SCAISCAI
Your doctor may describe your chest pain as "unstable" or "stable" angina.  Unstable Angina With un...
Could Your Chest Pain Be Angina?
Could Your Chest Pain Be Angina?