How does high blood pressure contribute to angina?

Dr. Jeanne Morrison, PhD

High blood pressure can cause harm to the arteries. This may increase the narrowing, or atherosclerosis, that occurs in the arteries. When the arteries narrow enough to limit blood flow to the heart, angina can occur. You can decrease your chances of high blood pressure by exercising, managing stress, eating a healthy diet, and maintaining a healthy weight.

Continue Learning about Angina

When should I seek immediate help if I have angina?
Riverside Heart and Vascular CenterRiverside Heart and Vascular Center
If you have angina, never drive a vehicle when you are having chest pain! If you have any of the fol...
When should I call my doctor if I have angina?
If you have angina, then call your doctor if: Your skin is itchy or you get a rash. Your angina is ...
What is angina?
Angina refers to chest pain produced when blood flow to the heart is low. When blood flow is low, th...
What is the difference between stable and unstable angina?
SCAISCAI
Your doctor may describe your chest pain as "unstable" or "stable" angina.  Unstable Angina With un...