How does angina affect the body?

Angina causes pain in the chest, arms, and back. The pain may be severe, or it may feel like pressure, an ache, or fullness in the chest. Angina is a sign that blood flow to the heart has lessened, and unstable angina can be a sign that a heart attack may be imminent.

A rare type of angina known as variant angina is actually caused by a coronary artery spasm, which causes the artery to narrow. This can be of short or long duration, but is more dangerous the longer it lasts. If the heart does not receive enough blood flow, you may have a heart attack.

Continue Learning about Angina

Understanding Chest Pain (Angina Pectoris)
What is angina pectoris? Angina is temporary pain or discomfort in the chest that occurs when not enough oxygen-carrying blood reaches your heart musc...
Is angina serious?
Angina can be serious. Stable angina, if untreated, can lead to more serious problems. Unstable angi...
When should I call my doctor if I have angina?
Riverside Heart and Vascular CenterRiverside Heart and Vascular Center
If you have angina, then call your doctor if: Your skin is itchy or you get a rash. Your angina is ...
What Is Stable Angina?
What Is Stable Angina?