How common is microvascular angina?

Diana Meeks
Diana Meeks on behalf of Sigma Nursing

It's hard to determine the exact number of people affected by microvascular angina, because it's a symptom that can be indicative of many underlying heart conditions. However, it's a relatively common condition. Microvascular angina is caused by a narrowing of small blood arteries to the heart. This can be caused by fatty deposits in the arteries that stick to the sides and restrict blood flow. It's more common among older people. People with high blood pressure, high cholesterol, diabetes, or obesity are also more commonly affected by microvascular angina than those without those risk factors.

Continue Learning about Angina

How common is angina?
Angina is fairly common. About 350,000 people are diagnosed with angina each year in the United Stat...
What is the difference between stable and unstable angina?
SCAISCAI
Your doctor may describe your chest pain as "unstable" or "stable" angina.  Unstable Angina With un...
When should I call my doctor if I have angina?
Riverside Heart and Vascular CenterRiverside Heart and Vascular Center
If you have angina, then call your doctor if: Your skin is itchy or you get a rash. Your angina is ...
Is Angina Related to Heart Attacks?
Is Angina Related to Heart Attacks?