What do I need to know about caring for someone with stable angina?

If someone in your care has stable angina, it is very important that you make sure his or her doctor's treatment plan is followed exactly. This will likely include daily medications as well as medications that can be taken if symptoms occur. Also, if the person has other health problems, such as high blood pressure, high cholesterol, or diabetes, these must be managed as well.

Make sure the person eats a diet that is high in whole grains, fruits, and vegetables, but low in saturated fat, and that they get moderate exercise if the doctor approves. You should give the person small but regular meals to avoid overeating, and watch for signs of a heart attack, such as sudden chest pain or tightness that differs from the regular angina pain. If you suspect a heart attack, get emergency help right away.

Continue Learning about Angina

Angina Pectoris (Chest Pain)
Angina Pectoris (Chest Pain)
What is angina pectoris? Angina is temporary pain or discomfort in the chest that occurs when not enough oxygen-carrying blood reaches your heart musc...
What should I do if I think I have unstable or variant angina?
If you think you are having an episode of unstable or variant angina, you need to seek emergency med...
How does high blood pressure affect the heart?
Douglas E. Severance, MDDouglas E. Severance, MD
If you have uncontrolled high blood pressure (hypertension), you have an increased chance for atrial...
Could Your Chest Pain Be Angina?
Could Your Chest Pain Be Angina?