How can I avoid angina symptoms?

Angina episodes occur when the heart doesn't receive enough oxygen-rich blood. That's what causes the feelings of chest pain or discomfort that occur with an angina episode. So to reduce your risk of angina, know what triggers your symptoms, and make small, simple lifestyle changes that will help you avoid those situations. For example:

• Some people find that eating too much or eating heavy, high-fat meals may bring on an attack. If this is a problem for you, limit your portion sizes.
  • Stress can trigger angina in some people. If this is true for you, choose a few stress reduction strategies to practice regularly.
  • Exerting yourself physically could trigger angina, so break up physical tasks and exercise into smaller chunks, and take frequent rest breaks.

Because you have angina, it's important to listen to your body and seek your doctor's advice if you experience anything out of the ordinary. If you have multiple risk factors for heart problems, you should also be familiar with the red flags that warrant immediate medical attention.

In addition to avoiding angina triggers, you'll want to make healthy lifestyle changes that will help protect your heart and also reduce angina, such as eating a heart-healthy diet and losing weight if you are overweight.

Continue Learning about Angina

Understanding Chest Pain (Angina Pectoris)
What is angina pectoris? Angina is temporary pain or discomfort in the chest that occurs when not enough oxygen-carrying blood reaches your heart musc...
When should I call my doctor if I have angina?
Riverside Heart and Vascular CenterRiverside Heart and Vascular Center
If you have angina, then call your doctor if: Your skin is itchy or you get a rash. Your angina is ...
How common is angina?
Angina is fairly common. About 350,000 people are diagnosed with angina each year in the United Stat...
What Is Stable Angina?
What Is Stable Angina?