What do I need to know about caring for someone with variant angina?

If someone in your care has chest pain, a symptom of variant angina, it is very important that you take the person immediately to an emergency room. It is best to call 911 and have the person transported by ambulance. Chest pain may also be a sign of heart attack.

Once the person has returned home from the hospital after treatment, it is vital that you make sure he or she follows the doctor's instructions exactly. This will likely include medications and lifestyle changes that are meant to avoid another incident of variant angina or a heart attack. You will also need to watch for signs of variant angina or heart attack.

Continue Learning about Angina

Angina Pectoris (Chest Pain)
Angina Pectoris (Chest Pain)
What is angina pectoris? Angina is temporary pain or discomfort in the chest that occurs when not enough oxygen-carrying blood reaches your heart musc...
When should I call my doctor if I have angina?
Riverside Heart and Vascular CenterRiverside Heart and Vascular Center
If you have angina, then call your doctor if: Your skin is itchy or you get a rash. Your angina is ...
How does high blood pressure affect the heart?
Douglas E. Severance, MDDouglas E. Severance, MD
If you have uncontrolled high blood pressure (hypertension), you have an increased chance for atrial...
Is Angina Related to Heart Attacks?
Is Angina Related to Heart Attacks?