Can stable angina be prevented?

You are in control of many of the factors that increase your risk of coronary artery disease and angina. Reducing or eliminating these risk factors can help prevent stable angina.

Since smoking and obesity both increase your risk of angina, quitting smoking and staying at a healthy weight can help prevent angina. Also, exercise and eating a diet high in whole grains, fruits, and vegetables may help. If you have high blood pressure, diabetes, or high cholesterol, taking the appropriate steps to manage these conditions will help prevent angina.

Continue Learning about Angina

Understanding Chest Pain (Angina Pectoris)
What is angina pectoris? Angina is temporary pain or discomfort in the chest that occurs when not enough oxygen-carrying blood reaches your heart musc...
What should I do if I think I have unstable or variant angina?
If you think you are having an episode of unstable or variant angina, you need to seek emergency med...
How can warming up help prevent exercise-induced angina?
Anthony L. Komaroff, MDAnthony L. Komaroff, MD
A fascinating occurrence called the "warm-up phenomenon" has puzzled doctors for decades. In the...
Is Angina Related to Heart Attacks?
Is Angina Related to Heart Attacks?