Can I have sex if I have angina?

Jan L. Shifren, MD
Reproductive Endocrinology
Chronic stable angina should not be a barrier to sex if you're accustomed to doing other things that require the same level of exertion. Some cautions apply, though. You cannot use Viagra, Levitra, or Cialis if you're taking a medication that contains nitrates (such as nitroglycerine); the interaction of these drugs can cause a life-threatening drop in blood pressure. People with unstable angina may need to abstain from sexual activity altogether. If you have this condition, consult your healthcare provider before engaging in sex.

Continue Learning about Angina

Understanding Chest Pain (Angina Pectoris)
What is angina pectoris? Angina is temporary pain or discomfort in the chest that occurs when not enough oxygen-carrying blood reaches your heart musc...
What should I do if I think I have unstable or variant angina?
If you think you are having an episode of unstable or variant angina, you need to seek emergency med...
What causes angina?
Coronary artery disease (CAD) is frequently the cause of angina. In coronary artery disease, arterie...
Is Angina Related to Heart Attacks?
Is Angina Related to Heart Attacks?