Can I have sex if I have angina?

Jan L. Shifren, MD
Reproductive Endocrinology
Chronic stable angina should not be a barrier to sex if you're accustomed to doing other things that require the same level of exertion. Some cautions apply, though. You cannot use Viagra, Levitra, or Cialis if you're taking a medication that contains nitrates (such as nitroglycerine); the interaction of these drugs can cause a life-threatening drop in blood pressure. People with unstable angina may need to abstain from sexual activity altogether. If you have this condition, consult your healthcare provider before engaging in sex.

Continue Learning about Angina

Angina Pectoris (Chest Pain)
Angina Pectoris (Chest Pain)
What is angina pectoris? Angina is temporary pain or discomfort in the chest that occurs when not enough oxygen-carrying blood reaches your heart musc...
How common is angina?
Angina is fairly common. About 350,000 people are diagnosed with angina each year in the United Stat...
When should I call my doctor if I have angina?
Riverside Heart and Vascular CenterRiverside Heart and Vascular Center
If you have angina, then call your doctor if: Your skin is itchy or you get a rash. Your angina is ...
Is Angina Related to Heart Attacks?
Is Angina Related to Heart Attacks?