How can I prevent angina?

Diana Meeks
Diana Meeks on behalf of Sigma Nursing

You are in control of many of the factors that increase your risk of coronary artery disease and angina. Reducing or eliminating these risk factors can help prevent angina.

Since smoking and obesity both increase your risk of angina, quitting smoking and staying at a healthy weight can help prevent angina. Also, exercise, stress management, and eating a diet high in whole grains, fruits, and vegetables may help. If you have high blood pressure, diabetes, or high cholesterol, taking the appropriate steps to manage these conditions will help prevent angina.

If you have stable angina, managing your disease carefully, by taking your medications and making lifestyle changes that your doctor recommends, can reduce your risk of having angina or heart attack.

Continue Learning about Angina

Understanding Chest Pain (Angina Pectoris)
What is angina pectoris? Angina is temporary pain or discomfort in the chest that occurs when not enough oxygen-carrying blood reaches your heart musc...
When should I seek immediate help if I have angina?
Riverside Heart and Vascular CenterRiverside Heart and Vascular Center
If you have angina, never drive a vehicle when you are having chest pain! If you have any of the fol...
How can warming up help prevent exercise-induced angina?
Anthony L. Komaroff, MDAnthony L. Komaroff, MD
A fascinating occurrence called the "warm-up phenomenon" has puzzled doctors for decades. In the...
Could Your Chest Pain Be Angina?
Could Your Chest Pain Be Angina?