How does variant angina affect men and women differently?

Men become at greater risk of angina at a younger age than women. Angina usually occurs in men over 45 and women over 55. In addition, the pain of variant angina may be much different in women than it is in men. Women may feel the pain as a burning or sharp pain rather than pressure or tightness. Women may feel dizzy and short of breath, which these symptoms are less common in men. Women may also feel the pain in the back, jaw, or abdomen, while in men the pain may tend to stay near the middle of the chest.

Continue Learning about Angina

Understanding Chest Pain (Angina Pectoris)
What is angina pectoris? Angina is temporary pain or discomfort in the chest that occurs when not enough oxygen-carrying blood reaches your heart musc...
When should I call my doctor if I have angina?
Riverside Heart and Vascular CenterRiverside Heart and Vascular Center
If you have angina, then call your doctor if: Your skin is itchy or you get a rash. Your angina is ...
What are the types of angina?
Piedmont Heart InstitutePiedmont Heart Institute
The most common types of angina are stable angina and unstable angina. A rare type of angina is call...
What Is Stable Angina?
What Is Stable Angina?