Is there a cure for angina?

Stable angina can be successfully treated in a number of different ways, but there is no magic cure or foolproof way to prevent it. Treatment focuses on getting the blood to flow more easily to the heart, and on addressing the underlying cause of the angina. Medications are often used, and surgery may sometimes be an option. A successful treatment plan will often incorporate lifestyle changes such as quitting smoking and staying at a healthy weight, as both obesity and smoking not only increase your risk of angina, they make heart attack more likely.

Unstable and variant angina are medical emergencies, and ones for which there are effective treatments. However, there is no cure, only prevention and treatment.

Continue Learning about Angina Treatment

Does angioplasty help treat angina?
Anthony L. Komaroff, MDAnthony L. Komaroff, MD
If you have stable angina (or no symptoms at all) from a narrowed coronary artery, medical thera...
Will I need surgery if I have angina?
Yolanda Y. Hendley, MDYolanda Y. Hendley, MD
You may require a procedure if you develop severe angina or are at high risk for a heart attack. Pro...
How is angina treated?
Angina occurs when plaque in the coronary arteries partially blocks blood flow and the heart mus...
Healthy Habits to Manage Angina
Healthy Habits to Manage Angina