How can I teach my child healthy anger management skills?

Michele Borba
If you want your kid to handle anger more appropriately then you must teach her a new behavior to substitute for the inappropriate she now uses. Here are a few anger management solutions. Choose the one you think will work best for your child, and then rehearse it again and again together until your child can do it without your guidance when those upset feelings kick in.

Use self-talk. Teach him an affirmation: a simple, positive message he says to himself in stressful situations. For example: “Stop and calm down,” “Stay in control,” “I can handle this.”

Tear anger away. Tell your child to draw or write what is upsetting him on a piece of paper. Then tear it into little pieces and “throw the anger away.” He can also use the concept by imaging that his anger is slowly leaving him in little pieces.

Teach abdominal breath control. Teach the method with your kid sitting in a comfortable position, her back straight and pressed into a chair for support.  Show your child how to inhale slowly to a count of five, pause for two counts, then slowly breathe out the same way, again counting to five. Repeating the sequence creates maximum relaxation.

Teach “1 + 3 + 10”. Explain the formula: “As soon as you feel your body sending you a warning sign that says you’re losing control, do three things. First, stop and say:  ‘Be calm.’ That’s 1. Now take three deep, slow breaths from your tummy. That’s 3. Finally, count slowly to ten inside your head. That’s 10. Put them all together and you have 1 + 3 + 10, and doing it helps you calm down and get back in control.”

Continue Learning about Anger Management

A Flash of Red Can Sharpen Focus
A Flash of Red Can Sharpen Focus
When you need to make a tough decision, just think about the last time you were angry. Sounds counterintuitive, but a little anger can actually help ...
How do I let go of resentment?
Deepak ChopraDeepak Chopra
Realize that there is no such thing as a missed opportunity. "I should have done that" and "If only ...
What is anger control?
Raychelle C. Lohmann, MS, LPCRaychelle C. Lohmann, MS, LPC
Anger control is a way to help you get back into the driver’s seat of your life. It’s a way to manag...
What Are the Symptoms of an Anger Control Problem?