How can I control my anger when dealing with my young child?

Trish Booth
Family Medicine
If you have a flare of anger toward your child, give yourself a 30-second break to calm down.

- As long as your child is safe, look away.
- Take a couple of deep breaths and let them out slowly.
- Open your hands wide and shake them.
- Yawn to relax your jaw.
- If you can't calm your anger, ask someone to take care of your child so you can get away for 15 minutes.

Continue Learning about Anger Management

What Your Job Can Do to Your Heart
What Your Job Can Do to Your Heart
The funny thing about your heart not being in your job is that your job finds a way to affect your heart anyway. When researchers looked at men who fe...
What are the stages of anger?
Raychelle C. Lohmann, MS, LPCRaychelle C. Lohmann, MS, LPC
Anger builds in stages. By understanding the progression of your anger, you can learn to quickly ide...
How can humor help me cope with anger?
A situation that makes you angry is likely to have a different outcome depending on whether you allo...
What Is Intermittent Explosive Disorder?