Can my anger rub off on those around me?

Have you ever been around someone who's angry all the time?  It's like walking on eggshells. You calculate and filter everything that you do, just so you don't set the person off. Is that what you want people doing when they're around you?  Do you want your friends or family to avoid hanging out with you because you're angry all the time?  Probably not. Anger can really take a toll on relationships. It's not fun walking around guarded all day because you want to avoid someone else's wrath.

So, what do you do if the person they're avoiding is you?  First, acknowledge that you've got to get your anger in check. Second, start monitoring things that set off or trigger your anger. Third, keep a log of when you get angry, times of day, what you were feeling (tired, hungry, stressed, etc.) and how you behaved. This is a great tool to find your anger patterns; so you can either avoid them or keep them from happening. Fifth, find ways to release your anger, exercise or doing artwork are great outlets!  Last, realize the importance of the people in your life. Your words and actions do have an effect on others, so why not make them positive ones?

Mona A. Schulz, MD
Psychiatry
When you externalize anger, take out your anger about your job for example, those around you can reflect it back to you. If you’re walking around aggravated, agitated, and irritated, those around you can internalize your anger. For example, if your cat starts acting out by pooping on a rug, she’s internalizing your anger because you’re spreading it all over your house. Anger is part of your intuitive guidance system that can let you know when something in your life is doing you wrong.

Continue Learning about Anger Management

Zen and the Art of Injury Prevention
Zen and the Art of Injury Prevention
Don't tackle a tough physical task if you're seeing red. Research suggests that being angry may increase a person's risk of injury nearly seven-fold....
Why should I avoid making decisions when I am angry?
Raychelle C. Lohmann, MS, LPCRaychelle C. Lohmann, MS, LPC
Some decisions are easier than others. Some don't require much thought at all, while others cause a ...
What are the stages of anger?
Anger builds in stages. By understanding the progression of your anger, you can learn to quickly ide...
How Can I Change the Way I Respond to Anger?