Can an anger management program reduce my risk of heart disease?

Anthony L. Komaroff, MD
An analysis of 50 studies that included almost 2,000 volunteers found that anger management programs help people tone down their anger, respond to threatening situations less aggressively, and use positive behaviors such as relaxation techniques or better communication skills. Other studies have demonstrated that improvements like these translate into lower blood pressure and better blood flow to the heart during exercise and stress. It's not yet known, however, whether anger management can prevent coronary artery disease and reduce the likelihood of heart attacks, strokes, and other cardiac events.

Continue Learning about Anger Management

How Pent Up Anger Can Actually Shorten Your Life
Anger is not a pleasant emotion. It can eat away at you over time, or it can explode all at once, blinding you to the feelings of others—it can make y...
Is suppressing anger bad for my health?
Mona A. Schulz, MDMona A. Schulz, MD
Stuffing your anger, internalizing your anger for a prolonged period of time is bad for your hea...
Can anger control problems be prevented?
Yes, anger control problems can be prevented. By having healthy coping techniques, you can prevent s...
How Can I Manage My Anger?
How Can I Manage My Anger?