Can an anger management program reduce my risk of heart disease?

Anthony L. Komaroff, MD
An analysis of 50 studies that included almost 2,000 volunteers found that anger management programs help people tone down their anger, respond to threatening situations less aggressively, and use positive behaviors such as relaxation techniques or better communication skills. Other studies have demonstrated that improvements like these translate into lower blood pressure and better blood flow to the heart during exercise and stress. It's not yet known, however, whether anger management can prevent coronary artery disease and reduce the likelihood of heart attacks, strokes, and other cardiac events.

Continue Learning about Anger Management

A Flash of Red Can Sharpen Focus
A Flash of Red Can Sharpen Focus
When you need to make a tough decision, just think about the last time you were angry. Sounds counterintuitive, but a little anger can actually help ...
How can I calm down when I'm angry?
Julie Holland, MDJulie Holland, MD
The best way to calm down when you are angry is to move the blood in your brain from the emotional c...
How can drinking alcohol affect anger?
When you're thinking, "Boy, I need a drink," think again. The trouble is alcohol won't relieve h...
What Is Intermittent Explosive Disorder?