How can anger control problems affect my family?

Diana Meeks
Diana Meeks on behalf of Sigma Nursing

Anger control problems have a direct effect on those around you. In your family, having trouble controlling your anger makes communication difficult. People are afraid to talk to you and may even avoid talking to you for fear of your angry reaction, your behavior, or physical/verbal abuse. It affects how people relate to you. In addition, you are setting an example for children around you, so this behavior could be passed on as children see you as their role model.

Mia Redrick
Healthcare

Anger control problems can prevent people from being able to be open to you or feeling loved by you.  In order to manage anger, get to source of it.  Ask yourself why you feel angry and look at healthy outlets for it.  Fix your diet, start to exercise, or learn how to redirect your anger.  In some cases you may need to make an appointment with a psychologist to explore it or get a coach to help you manage it.  You also might consider making time to meditate or do yoga or tai chi. 

Continue Learning about Anger Management

What Your Job Can Do to Your Heart
What Your Job Can Do to Your Heart
The funny thing about your heart not being in your job is that your job finds a way to affect your heart anyway. When researchers looked at men who fe...
How can I change the way I respond to anger?
Raychelle C. Lohmann, MS, LPCRaychelle C. Lohmann, MS, LPC
Your response to anger can change if you:recognize your anger is a problemexplore ways to change y...
What are some triggers that affect anger control?
Triggers are things - people, situations, stress - that cause your feelings of anger to escalate. Th...
What Is Intermittent Explosive Disorder?