Why is elective surgery performed for an aortic aneurysm?

While both aortic aneurysms and dissections are potentially life threatening, they can be effectively treated when caught in time. Aortic surgery may be elective (scheduled) or performed on an emergency basis. Elective surgery is performed to prevent complications of aortic disease such as aortic valve incompetence, aortic rupture, and aortic dissection. Elective procedures include replacement of the aortic root, reconstruction of the aortic arch, and replacement of a portion or the entire thoracic, and possibly thoracoabdominal, aorta.

Continue Learning about Aneurysms

Aneurysms: Deadly but Preventable
Aneurysms: Deadly but Preventable
We rely on our arteries to carry oxygen-rich blood to all the organs, muscles and tissues of the body. Every beat of the heart sends more blood throug...
How are aneurysms treated?
Dr. Joshua I. Greenberg, MDDr. Joshua I. Greenberg, MD
The majority of aneurysms–70 to 80 percent–can be treated with minimally invasive techniques such as...
What is a less-invasive way of treating a thoraco-abdominal aneurysm?
The Society of Thoracic SurgeonsThe Society of Thoracic Surgeons
Treating aneurysms of the thoracic and abdominal aorta using a less invasive endovascular approach, ...
What is an aortic aneurysm?
Dr. David W. Drucker, MDDr. David W. Drucker, MD
Aortic aneurysms are part of the spectrum of peripheral arterial disease (PAD). An aneurysm occurs w...