Where do aneurysms occur in the body?

Dr. David W. Drucker, MD
Cardiologist (Heart Specialist)

Aneurysms can occur anywhere along the aorta, and in other blood vessels. The two most common aneurysms are of the thoracic aorta, which is in your chest (thorax), and of the abdominal aorta, which is in your abdomen. Aneurysms can also occur in the brain, neck or arm arteries and behind the knee cap (popliteal artery aneurysms), although all of these are less likely. The most important thing is to work with your doctor to decide if you're somebody who should be screened for aneurysms.

Continue Learning about Aneurysms

Aneurysms: Deadly but Preventable
Aneurysms: Deadly but Preventable
We rely on our arteries to carry oxygen-rich blood to all the organs, muscles and tissues of the body. Every beat of the heart sends more blood throug...
How important is sizing in aortic stent grafting?
Joshua I. Greenberg, MDJoshua I. Greenberg, MD
Patients will need to undergo tests to measure for the appropriate size stent before aortic stent gr...
What is the recovery time from valve sparing aneurysm repair?
NewYork-Presbyterian HospitalNewYork-Presbyterian Hospital
The operating takes 3-3.5 hours in total and after surgery the patient typically is in the intensive...
What happens during an endovascular aneurysm repair (EVAR)?
Brigham and Women's HospitalBrigham and Women's Hospital
Endovascular aneurysm repair (EVAR) is a procedure performed to repair an abdominal aortic aneur...