What are the symptoms of a thoracic aortic aneurysm (TAA)?

Often, thoracic aortic aneurysms do not cause any symptoms because they usually develop slowly over time. However, if the aneurysm is big enough to put pressure on surrounding structures within the chest, symptoms may include:
  • hoarseness
  • trouble swallowing
  • swelling in the neck
  • pain in the chest or upper back
  • nausea and vomiting
  • rapid heart rate
This content originally appeared online in "The Patient Guide to Heart, Lung, and Esophageal Surgery" from the Society of Thoracic Surgery.

Continue Learning about Aneurysms

Aneurysms: Deadly but Preventable
Aneurysms: Deadly but Preventable
We rely on our arteries to carry oxygen-rich blood to all the organs, muscles and tissues of the body. Every beat of the heart sends more blood throug...
How is an abdominal aortic aneurysm (AAA) treated?
Dr. David W. Drucker, MDDr. David W. Drucker, MD
Patients with abdominal aortic aneurysms that need to be treated have two excellent options. Open su...
What can I expect from a stent grafting procedure?
Joshua I. Greenberg, MDJoshua I. Greenberg, MD
Studies are showing good results from aortic stent graft procedures well after the procedure. In thi...
What are the dangers of an aneurysm?
Piedmont Heart InstitutePiedmont Heart Institute
Aneurysms may burst and bleed into the brain, causing serious complications, including hemorrhagic s...