What is a thoracic aortic aneurysm?

Thoracic aortic aneurysm, or TAA, is an abnormal widening of a part of the thoracic aorta. The thoracic aorta is the large artery (blood vessel) that comes from the heart and extends down the center of your chest. It contains blood with oxygen that goes to the rest of the body. TAA occurs when weak spots in the walls of the blood vessel are present. It commonly forms in the first part of the thoracic aorta but may happen in other parts of the blood vessel.

A thoracic aortic aneurysm is a ballooning out of a blood vessel in the chest region.

Continue Learning about Aneurysms

Aneurysms: Deadly but Preventable
Aneurysms: Deadly but Preventable
We rely on our arteries to carry oxygen-rich blood to all the organs, muscles and tissues of the body. Every beat of the heart sends more blood throug...
What causes hospital readmission following AVR surgery?
The Society of Thoracic SurgeonsThe Society of Thoracic Surgeons
Close follow-up can reduce complications and hospital readmission following aortic valve replacement...
What is an abdominal aortic aneurysm (AAA)?
Intermountain HealthcareIntermountain Healthcare
An artery is a blood vessel that carries oxygen-rich blood from your heart to the rest of your body....
How are aneurysms treated?
Dr. Joshua I. Greenberg, MDDr. Joshua I. Greenberg, MD
The majority of aneurysms–70 to 80 percent–can be treated with minimally invasive techniques such as...