What is a short neck aneurysm?

An aneurysm that occurs close to the point where the aorta attaches to the kidneys, leaving a short length or "neck" between the two structures, is a short neck aneurysm. These aneurysms are more difficult to repair than other types and often require open surgical repair or a fenestrated aortic endovascular graft.

Continue Learning about Aneurysms

Aneurysms: Deadly but Preventable
Aneurysms: Deadly but Preventable
We rely on our arteries to carry oxygen-rich blood to all the organs, muscles and tissues of the body. Every beat of the heart sends more blood throug...
How long can I delay scheduling surgery for an aneurysm?
Columbia University Department of SurgeryColumbia University Department of Surgery
If a patient has a known aneurysm and surgery is advised, the decision to delay or forego surgery in...
What are my chances of dying if my aneurysm ruptures?
Dr. Michael L. Schwartz, MDDr. Michael L. Schwartz, MD
If your aneurysm ruptures, the outcome could be lethal. If you make it to a hospital in time, your c...
How is an aortic aneurysm fixed?
Dr. Mark J. Russo, MDDr. Mark J. Russo, MD
Treatment options for an aortic aneurysm may include one or more of the following: Controlling or...