What is a short neck aneurysm?

An aneurysm that occurs close to the point where the aorta attaches to the kidneys, leaving a short length or "neck" between the two structures, is a short neck aneurysm. These aneurysms are more difficult to repair than other types and often require open surgical repair or a fenestrated aortic endovascular graft.

Continue Learning about Aneurysms

Aneurysms: Deadly but Preventable
Aneurysms: Deadly but Preventable
We rely on our arteries to carry oxygen-rich blood to all the organs, muscles and tissues of the body. Every beat of the heart sends more blood throug...
What causes an aortic aneurysm?
CTSurgeryPatients.orgCTSurgeryPatients.org
The exact cause of an aortic aneurysm is often difficult to determine, but many factors potentially ...
How will my doctor decide if I need aortic surgery?
Columbia University Department of SurgeryColumbia University Department of Surgery
There are cases where surgery is necessary, but this is determined on an individual basis. The size ...
What are my chances of dying if my aneurysm ruptures?
Dr. Michael L. Schwartz, MDDr. Michael L. Schwartz, MD
If your aneurysm ruptures, the outcome could be lethal. If you make it to a hospital in time, your c...