What can increase my risk of an aortic aneurysm?

Below is a list of factors that increase your risk for an aortic aneurysm.

1. Risk factors you cannot change include:
  • Age. People over 60 have a higher risk.
  • Sex and race. Aortic aneurysms are more common in men and among Caucasian (white) people.
  • Family history. Your risk for an aortic aneurysm is higher if someone else in your family has had one.
2. Risk factors you can change include:
  • Using tobacco. Smoking or chewing tobacco is closely connected with aortic aneurysms.
  • High blood pressure. The higher your blood pressure, the more stress it places on your arteries. This pressure can lead to an aneurysm.
  • High cholesterol. Cholesterol is a soft, waxy substance in your blood that carries fat. If it's too high, it can damage the lining of your arteries.

Continue Learning about Aneurysms

Aneurysms: Deadly but Preventable
Aneurysms: Deadly but Preventable
We rely on our arteries to carry oxygen-rich blood to all the organs, muscles and tissues of the body. Every beat of the heart sends more blood throug...
What are the benefits of fenestrated aortic aneurysm repair?
Joshua I. Greenberg, MDJoshua I. Greenberg, MD
Fenestrated aortic aneurysm repair is an advancement in the management of aortic disease. In this vi...
Who performs endovascular procedures?
Mark J. Russo, MDMark J. Russo, MD
An endovascular stent graft is a treatment for aneurysms of the descending (thoracic and abdominal) ...
Are there alternatives to open surgery for an aortic aneurysm?
Brian G. Derubertis, MDBrian G. Derubertis, MD
There are alternatives to open surgery for aortic aneurysms for people who are not good candidates f...