What happens during endovascular stent grafting?

Mark J. Russo, MD
Thoracic Surgery (Cardiothoracic Vascular)

Endovascular stent grafting is similar to the approach that is used for a cardiac catheterization of the coronary arteries  

This procedure requires only small incisions in the groin. Then the surgeon inserts a catheter through the femoral artery in the groin and with the use of x-ray guidance and specially-designed instruments, the aneurysm can be repaired from inside the aorta by inserting a tube, called a stent-graft. This is possible because the stent graft is delivered through the catheter in a collapsed state and then expanded at the site of the aneurysm. 

The tube replaces and reinforces the diseased aortic wall, ensuring continuity of blood flow while preventing further expansion of the aorta, aortic rupture, and/or aortic dissection. 

Continue Learning about Aneurysms

Aneurysms: Deadly but Preventable
Aneurysms: Deadly but Preventable
We rely on our arteries to carry oxygen-rich blood to all the organs, muscles and tissues of the body. Every beat of the heart sends more blood throug...
What are the benefits of fenestrated aortic aneurysm repair?
Joshua I. Greenberg, MDJoshua I. Greenberg, MD
Fenestrated aortic aneurysm repair is an advancement in the management of aortic disease. In this vi...
How does an aneurysm change my lifestyle?
Mark J. Russo, MDMark J. Russo, MD
People with aortic aneurysms prevent further growth of their aneurysm and/or aortic catastrophe by t...
What is a less-invasive way of treating a thoraco-abdominal aneurysm?
The Society of Thoracic SurgeonsThe Society of Thoracic Surgeons
Treating aneurysms of the thoracic and abdominal aorta using a less invasive endovascular approach, ...