What happens before an endovascular aneurysm repair (EVAR)?

Endovascular aneurysm repair (EVAR) is a minimally invasive (without a large abdominal incision) procedure performed to repair an abdominal aortic aneurysm -- a bulging, weakened area in the wall of the aorta (the largest artery in the body). Before the procedure:
  • Your physician will explain the procedure to you and offer you the opportunity to ask any questions that you might have about the procedure.
  • You will be asked to sign a consent form that gives permission to do the procedure. Read the form carefully and ask questions if something is not clear.
  • In addition to a complete medical history, your physician may perform a physical examination to ensure you are in good health before you undergo the procedure. You may also undergo blood tests and other diagnostic tests.
  • You will be asked to fast for eight hours before the procedure, generally after midnight.
  • If you are pregnant or suspect that you are pregnant, you should notify your physician.
  • Notify your physician if you are sensitive to or are allergic to any medications, latex, iodine, tape, contrast dyes, and anesthetic agents (local or general).
  • Notify your physician of all medications (prescribed and over-the-counter) and herbal supplements that you are taking.
  • Notify your physician if you have a history of bleeding disorders or if you are taking any anticoagulant (blood-thinning) medications, aspirin, or other medications that affect blood clotting. It may be necessary for you to stop these medications prior to the procedure.
  • If you smoke, you should stop smoking as soon as possible prior to the procedure, in order to improve your chances for a successful recovery from surgery and to improve your overall health status.
  • You may receive a sedative prior to the procedure to help you relax.
  • The areas around the surgical site may be shaved.
  • Based upon your medical condition, your physician may request other specific preparation.
Here's what happens before an endovascular aneurysm repair (EVAR, also called "stent grafting") begins:
  • A nurse will prepare the patch of skin, usually in your groin, where the catheters will be inserted.
  • You will have an IV (intravenous) line for medication. Blood may be taken for lab tests.

Continue Learning about Aneurysms

Aneurysms: Deadly but Preventable
Aneurysms: Deadly but Preventable
We rely on our arteries to carry oxygen-rich blood to all the organs, muscles and tissues of the body. Every beat of the heart sends more blood throug...
What can I expect from a stent grafting procedure?
Joshua I. Greenberg, MDJoshua I. Greenberg, MD
Studies are showing good results from aortic stent graft procedures well after the procedure. In thi...
What are the complications during and after endovascular surgery?
Dr. Michael L. Schwartz, MDDr. Michael L. Schwartz, MD
There are very few complications during and after endovascular surgery. Endovascular surgery is a "m...
How should I care for myself at home after an endovascular aneurysm repair?
Brigham and Women's HospitalBrigham and Women's Hospital
Endovascular aneurysm repair (EVAR) is a minimally invasive (without a large abdominal incision)...