What should I do after an abdominal aortic aneurysm (AAA) repair?

Open repair of an abdominal aortic aneurysm (AAA) -- a bulging, weakened area in the wall of the aorta (the largest artery in the body) -- involves an incision of the abdomen to directly visualize the aortic aneurysm.

Once you are home after an abdominal aortic aneurysm repair, it will be important to keep the surgical area clean and dry. Your physician will give you specific bathing instructions. The sutures or surgical staples will be removed during a follow-up office visit, in the event they were not removed before leaving the hospital.

The surgical incision may be tender or sore for several days after an aneurysm repair procedure. Take a pain reliever for soreness as recommended by your physician.

You should not drive until your physician tells you to. Other activity restrictions may apply.

Notify your physician to report any of the following:

• Fever and/or chills
  • Redness, swelling, or bleeding or other drainage from the incision site
  • Increase in pain around the incision site

Your physician may give you additional or alternate instructions after the procedure, depending on your particular situation.

Continue Learning about Aneurysms

Aneurysms: Deadly but Preventable
Aneurysms: Deadly but Preventable
We rely on our arteries to carry oxygen-rich blood to all the organs, muscles and tissues of the body. Every beat of the heart sends more blood throug...
What is minimally invasive or endovascular surgery?
Mark J. Russo, MDMark J. Russo, MD
Rather than making a large incision through the breastbone (sternum) to gain access to the heart, mi...
How do doctors diagnose an aortic aneurysm?
Charles J. Bailey, MDCharles J. Bailey, MD
Doctors start with a physical exam that includes an aortic ultrasound. In this video, Charles Bailey...
How important is sizing in aortic stent grafting?
Joshua I. Greenberg, MDJoshua I. Greenberg, MD
Patients will need to undergo tests to measure for the appropriate size stent before aortic stent gr...