What should I do after an abdominal aortic aneurysm (AAA) repair?

Open repair of an abdominal aortic aneurysm (AAA) -- a bulging, weakened area in the wall of the aorta (the largest artery in the body) -- involves an incision of the abdomen to directly visualize the aortic aneurysm.

Once you are home after an abdominal aortic aneurysm repair, it will be important to keep the surgical area clean and dry. Your physician will give you specific bathing instructions. The sutures or surgical staples will be removed during a follow-up office visit, in the event they were not removed before leaving the hospital.

The surgical incision may be tender or sore for several days after an aneurysm repair procedure. Take a pain reliever for soreness as recommended by your physician.

You should not drive until your physician tells you to. Other activity restrictions may apply.

Notify your physician to report any of the following:

• Fever and/or chills
  • Redness, swelling, or bleeding or other drainage from the incision site
  • Increase in pain around the incision site

Your physician may give you additional or alternate instructions after the procedure, depending on your particular situation.

Continue Learning about Aneurysms

Aneurysms: Deadly but Preventable
Aneurysms: Deadly but Preventable
We rely on our arteries to carry oxygen-rich blood to all the organs, muscles and tissues of the body. Every beat of the heart sends more blood throug...
How will my doctor decide if I need aortic surgery?
Columbia University Department of SurgeryColumbia University Department of Surgery
There are cases where surgery is necessary, but this is determined on an individual basis. The size ...
What happens during endovascular surgery?
Dr. Mark J. Russo, MDDr. Mark J. Russo, MD
An endovascular stent graft repair is a treatment for aneurysms of the descending (thoracic and abdo...
Who is a candidate for fenestrated aortic stent grafting?
Joshua I. Greenberg, MDJoshua I. Greenberg, MD
Patients who are candidates for fenestrated aortic stent grafting have aneurysms close to the kidney...