What are possible complications of an endovascular aneurysm repair (EVAR)?

Endovascular aneurysm repair (EVAR) is a minimally invasive (without a large abdominal incision) procedure performed to repair an abdominal aortic aneurysm -- a bulging, weakened area in the wall of the aorta (the largest artery in the body). As with any surgical procedure, complications can occur in an EVAR procedure. Some possible complications may include, but are not limited to, the following:
  • Damage to surrounding blood vessels, organs, or other structures by instruments
  • Kidney damage
  • Limb ischemia (loss of blood flow to legs/feet) from clots
  • Groin wound infection
  • Groin hematoma (large blood-filled bruise)
  • Bleeding
  • Endoleak (continual leaking of blood out of the graft and into the aneurysm sac with potential rupture)
  • Spinal cord injury
Patients who are allergic to or sensitive to medications, contrast dyes, iodine, or latex should notify their physician.

There may be other risks depending upon your specific medical condition. Be sure to discuss any concerns with your physician prior to the procedure.
Potential complications for endovascular aneurysm repair (EVAR, also called "stent grafting") include:
  • infection
  • problems such as blood leaking around the stent, movement of the stent, or stent fracture -- these will require another procedure
  • blocked blood flow through the stent
  • a burst artery
  • injury to the kidney
  • death (very rare)

Continue Learning about Aneurysms

Aneurysms: Deadly but Preventable
Aneurysms: Deadly but Preventable
We rely on our arteries to carry oxygen-rich blood to all the organs, muscles and tissues of the body. Every beat of the heart sends more blood throug...
What can I expect after fenestrated aortic aneurysm repair?
Joshua I. Greenberg, MDJoshua I. Greenberg, MD
After fenestrated aortic aneurysm repairs, patients can come home several days sooner than in the st...
How long can I delay scheduling surgery for an aneurysm?
Columbia University Department of SurgeryColumbia University Department of Surgery
If a patient has a known aneurysm and surgery is advised, the decision to delay or forego surgery in...
How does an endovascular aneurysm repair (EVAR) work?
Mark J. Russo, MDMark J. Russo, MD
An endovascular stent graft repair is a treatment for aneurysms of the descending (thoracic and abdo...