What are my chances of dying if my aneurysm ruptures?

Dr. Michael L. Schwartz, MD
Vascular Surgeon

If your aneurysm ruptures, the outcome could be lethal. If you make it to a hospital in time, your chance of survival is over 60 percent. You should have your aneurysm fixed when it is at a size at risk for rupture.

Once an aneurysm reaches 5 to 6 cm in diameter, the risk of rupture is very high. If rupture occurs, there is approximately an 80 to 95 percent chance of death. Therefore, the majority of vascular surgeons would agree that a 5 to 6 cm aneurysm should be repaired immediately, unless other medical factors make surgery risky.

Continue Learning about Aneurysms

Aneurysms: Deadly but Preventable
Aneurysms: Deadly but Preventable
We rely on our arteries to carry oxygen-rich blood to all the organs, muscles and tissues of the body. Every beat of the heart sends more blood throug...
What causes an aneurysm?
Aneurysms are caused by a weakening of artery walls. When the force of blood flow pushes against a ...
How common is an abdominal aortic aneurysm (AAA) repair?
James J. Otto Jr., MDJames J. Otto Jr., MD
Abdominal aortic aneurysm repairs are among the most common surgeries in Florida, says James Otto, M...
What can I expect after fenestrated aortic aneurysm repair?
Joshua I. Greenberg, MDJoshua I. Greenberg, MD
After fenestrated aortic aneurysm repairs, patients can come home several days sooner than in the st...