What are my chances of dying if my aneurysm ruptures?

Dr. Michael L. Schwartz, MD
Vascular Surgeon

If your aneurysm ruptures, the outcome could be lethal. If you make it to a hospital in time, your chance of survival is over 60 percent. You should have your aneurysm fixed when it is at a size at risk for rupture.

Once an aneurysm reaches 5 to 6 cm in diameter, the risk of rupture is very high. If rupture occurs, there is approximately an 80 to 95 percent chance of death. Therefore, the majority of vascular surgeons would agree that a 5 to 6 cm aneurysm should be repaired immediately, unless other medical factors make surgery risky.

Continue Learning about Aneurysms

Aneurysms: Deadly but Preventable
Aneurysms: Deadly but Preventable
We rely on our arteries to carry oxygen-rich blood to all the organs, muscles and tissues of the body. Every beat of the heart sends more blood throug...
What causes an aortic aneurysm?
CTSurgeryPatients.orgCTSurgeryPatients.org
The exact cause of an aortic aneurysm is often difficult to determine, but many factors potentially ...
When should I go for a follow-up appointment after an EVAR?
Intermountain HealthcareIntermountain Healthcare
After an endovascular aneurysm repair (EVAR, also called "stent grafting"), you need regular fol...
What can I expect after endovascular surgery?
Methodist Specialty and Transplant HospitalMethodist Specialty and Transplant Hospital
Most patients recover quickly from endovascular surgery—in most cases, remaining in the hospital for...