What can I do to prevent an aortic aneurysm?

The best way to prevent an aortic aneurysm is to avoid the factors that put you at higher risk for one. You can't control all of the risk factors for aortic aneurysm, but lifestyle changes can help you reduce some risks.

Lifestyle changes include quitting smoking and controlling conditions such as high blood pressure and high blood cholesterol.

Talk to your doctor about programs and products that can help you quit smoking. Also try to avoid secondhand smoke.

Follow a healthy diet and be as physically active as you can. A healthy diet includes a variety of fruits, vegetables, and whole grains. It also includes lean meats, poultry, fish, beans, and fat-free or low-fat milk or milk products. A healthy diet is low in saturated fat, trans fat, cholesterol, sodium (salt), and added sugar.

This answer from the National Heart, Lung and Blood Institute has been reviewed and/or edited by Dr. William D. Knopf.
Stephen R. Hazelrigg, MD
Thoracic Surgery (Cardiothoracic Vascular)
The risk factors for developing an aortic aneurysm include things that promote atherosclerosis of the vessel. These factors include uncontrolled hypertension, diabetes, smoking and high cholesterol. A sedentary and stressful lifestyle may contribute but likely much less than the other factors mentioned. Although relatively rare, there are some genetic disorders that result in a weakening of the wall of the aorta that can also cause aneurysms. Preventing the development of an aneurysm, therefore, includes avoiding the causes of atherosclerosis as much as possible.

Continue Learning about Aneurysms

Aneurysms: Deadly but Preventable
Aneurysms: Deadly but Preventable
We rely on our arteries to carry oxygen-rich blood to all the organs, muscles and tissues of the body. Every beat of the heart sends more blood throug...
How serious is a cerebral aneurysm?
Riverside Community HospitalRiverside Community Hospital
Most aneurysms go unnoticed, and there are very real dangers connected with a cerebral aneurysm.
How long can I delay scheduling surgery for an aneurysm?
Matthew R. Reynolds, DOMatthew R. Reynolds, DO
In this video, Matthew Reynolds, DO from Largo Medical Center explains the different factors that in...
When should I go for a follow-up appointment after an EVAR?
Intermountain HealthcareIntermountain Healthcare
After an endovascular aneurysm repair (EVAR, also called "stent grafting"), you need regular fol...