What can I do to prevent an aortic aneurysm?

The best way to prevent an aortic aneurysm is to avoid the factors that put you at higher risk for one. You can't control all of the risk factors for aortic aneurysm, but lifestyle changes can help you reduce some risks.

Lifestyle changes include quitting smoking and controlling conditions such as high blood pressure and high blood cholesterol.

Talk to your doctor about programs and products that can help you quit smoking. Also try to avoid secondhand smoke.

Follow a healthy diet and be as physically active as you can. A healthy diet includes a variety of fruits, vegetables, and whole grains. It also includes lean meats, poultry, fish, beans, and fat-free or low-fat milk or milk products. A healthy diet is low in saturated fat, trans fat, cholesterol, sodium (salt), and added sugar.

This answer from the National Heart, Lung and Blood Institute has been reviewed and/or edited by Dr. William D. Knopf.

Continue Learning about Aneurysms

what is the treatment for an aortic aneurysm ?
Riverside Heart and Vascular CenterRiverside Heart and Vascular Center
Aortic aneurysms are one of the most complicated and potentially dangerous vascular conditions. Our ...
how is an aneurysm diagnosed ?
Since many people who have aneurysms don't have any symptoms, the diagnosis is often made by chance ...
what is a juxtarenal abdominal aortic aneurysm ?
NewYork-Presbyterian HospitalNewYork-Presbyterian Hospital
A juxtarenal abdominal aortic aneurysm occurs in the abdominal aorta and extends up to, and includes...
how can i avoid stressing out about my aneurysm ?
Columbia University Department of SurgeryColumbia University Department of Surgery
It is common to feel anxious after receiving the diagnosis of an aortic aneurysm. Let me assure you ...