What are the types of aneurysms?

Barry T. Katzen, MD
Diagnostic Radiology
Aneurysms can occur in any part of the body but are seen most often in the following parts of the body:
  • Abdominal aortic aneurysms (AAA) occur in the part of the aorta (the body's main artery) that goes through the abdomen.
  • Thoracic aortic aneurysms occur in the aorta in the chest.
  • Popliteal aneurysms occur in arteries behind the knees.
  • Visceral aneurysms occur in the arteries to organs in the abdomen like the kidneys
  • Brain aneurysms occur in the arteries in the brain

Continue Learning about Aneurysms

Aneurysms: Deadly but Preventable
Aneurysms: Deadly but Preventable
We rely on our arteries to carry oxygen-rich blood to all the organs, muscles and tissues of the body. Every beat of the heart sends more blood throug...
Are there alternatives to open surgery for an aortic aneurysm?
Brian G. Derubertis, MDBrian G. Derubertis, MD
There are alternatives to open surgery for aortic aneurysms for people who are not good candidates f...
How can chronic inflammation lead to aortic aneurysms?
Stephen R. Hazelrigg, MDStephen R. Hazelrigg, MD
Inflammation in the wall of the artery can ultimately weaken it, causing the artery to stretch or ex...
What are my chances of dying if my aneurysm ruptures?
Dr. Michael L. Schwartz, MDDr. Michael L. Schwartz, MD
If your aneurysm ruptures, the outcome could be lethal. If you make it to a hospital in time, your c...