What are the types of aneurysms?

Barry T. Katzen, MD
Diagnostic Radiology
Aneurysms can occur in any part of the body but are seen most often in the following parts of the body:
  • Abdominal aortic aneurysms (AAA) occur in the part of the aorta (the body's main artery) that goes through the abdomen.
  • Thoracic aortic aneurysms occur in the aorta in the chest.
  • Popliteal aneurysms occur in arteries behind the knees.
  • Visceral aneurysms occur in the arteries to organs in the abdomen like the kidneys
  • Brain aneurysms occur in the arteries in the brain

Continue Learning about Aneurysms

Aneurysms: Deadly but Preventable
Aneurysms: Deadly but Preventable
We rely on our arteries to carry oxygen-rich blood to all the organs, muscles and tissues of the body. Every beat of the heart sends more blood throug...
What are the risk factors for abdominal aortic aneurysms (AAA)?
Dr. Joshua I. Greenberg, MDDr. Joshua I. Greenberg, MD
The risk factors for abdominal aortic aneurysm (AAA) are smoking, followed by high blood pressure an...
How does an aneurysm change my lifestyle?
Mark J. Russo, MDMark J. Russo, MD
People with aortic aneurysms prevent further growth of their aneurysm and/or aortic catastrophe by t...
When do I need surgery for an aneurysm?
Dr. Mark J. Russo, MDDr. Mark J. Russo, MD
Surgery is recommended in order to prevent an aortic catastrophes, including aortic rupture or aorti...