What is the risk of aneurysm with a bicuspid aortic valve?

In a bicuspid aortic valve, the valve leaflets do not open as fully as they should. This causes turbulence as the blood flows through the valve. It creates areas around the valve where blood stagnates a bit, and other areas around the valve where the blood is under high pressure. This imbalance puts an abnormal amount of pressure on the valve, which sets the stage for damage to occur. Once damage occurs, the areas of stagnation or pooling will allow calcium to deposit on the valve. This will result in thickening and incomplete opening. This process continues until the valve is destroyed.

It is important to note that not everyone with a bicuspid valve will have this problem, but that there is an increased likelihood of calcium deposits forming on the leaflets. It is important to note that the risk of developing bicuspid aortic valve has a genetic basis. Anyone who has a relative who had a bicuspid valve, an aneurysm, or a dissection should have an echocardiogram to assess the structure and function of his or her aortic valve.

Continue Learning about Aneurysms

Aneurysms: Deadly but Preventable
Aneurysms: Deadly but Preventable
We rely on our arteries to carry oxygen-rich blood to all the organs, muscles and tissues of the body. Every beat of the heart sends more blood throug...
What can increase my risk of an aortic aneurysm?
Intermountain HealthcareIntermountain Healthcare
Below is a list of factors that increase your risk for an aortic aneurysm. 1. Risk factors you ca...
Why do I need surgery for an aneurysm if I feel okay?
Columbia University Department of SurgeryColumbia University Department of Surgery
Aneurysms are often discovered incidentally during a medical test performed for an unrelated reason....
When should I go for a follow-up appointment after an EVAR?
After an endovascular aneurysm repair (EVAR, also called "stent grafting"), you need regular fol...