Who is the ideal patient for a valve sparing aneurysm repair?

Mark J. Russo, MD
Thoracic Surgery (Cardiothoracic Vascular)

When the aorta is dilated, but the aortic valve is structurally otherwise normal, the aorta can be replaced ("root replacement") while preserving the aortic valve ("valve sparing"). This avoids the need for a valve replacement with an artificial valve. Thus offering the possibility for a more durable repair, as well as avoiding the potential need for blood thinning medication. 

This approach also known as the David Procedure is a significant advance in aortic surgery. It is a highly advanced technique that requires special expertise and equipment. It should only be performed by experienced centers on well-selected patients.

The ideal patient for this procedure is a patient whose abdominal aorta is approximately 5 cm in diameter and whose aortic valve functions fairly well.

Continue Learning about Aneurysms

Aneurysms: Deadly but Preventable
Aneurysms: Deadly but Preventable
We rely on our arteries to carry oxygen-rich blood to all the organs, muscles and tissues of the body. Every beat of the heart sends more blood throug...
How can I reduce my risk of an aneurysm?
David W. Drucker, MDDavid W. Drucker, MD
If you know you’re at risk for aneurysms, you need to notify your doctor. The biggest risk factor fo...
How long can I delay scheduling surgery for an aneurysm?
Matthew R. Reynolds, DOMatthew R. Reynolds, DO
In this video, Matthew Reynolds, DO from Largo Medical Center explains the different factors that in...
When can minimally invasive surgery be used for aortic aneurysms?
Thomas J. Beadle, MDThomas J. Beadle, MD
The location of an aortic aneurysm determines whether or not a minimally-invasive surgery can be per...