How are thoracic aortic aneurysms diagnosed?

Thoracic aortic aneurysms can be hard to diagnose because they usually develop slowly and do not cause many symptoms. Unless the aneurysm has ruptured, a physical exam with a doctor likely will be normal.

Undergoing imaging tests for other symptoms or conditions is often how thoracic aortic aneurysms are detected. These tests can include a chest x-ray, echocardiogram (ultrasound of the heart and part of the aorta), or a computed tomography (CT) scan. A CT scan will show the size of the aorta and the exact location of the aneurysm.

An aortogram or angiogram (a special set of x-ray images made when dye injected into the aorta) may also be performed, which can help identify the aneurysm and any branches of the aorta that may be involved.

This content originally appeared online in "The Patient Guide to Heart, Lung, and Esophageal Surgery" from the Society of Thoracic Surgery.

Continue Learning about Aneurysms

Aneurysms: Deadly but Preventable
Aneurysms: Deadly but Preventable
We rely on our arteries to carry oxygen-rich blood to all the organs, muscles and tissues of the body. Every beat of the heart sends more blood throug...
When should I call my doctor after an endovascular aneurysm repair?
Intermountain HealthcareIntermountain Healthcare
Make an appointment with your doctor if you have any of these symptoms after an endovascular ane...
What is the treatment for an aortic aneurysm?
Piedmont Heart InstitutePiedmont Heart Institute
Aortic aneurysms are treated with medicines and surgery. A small aneurysm that's found early and isn...
When do I need surgery for an aneurysm?
Dr. Mark J. Russo, MDDr. Mark J. Russo, MD
Surgery is recommended in order to prevent an aortic catastrophes, including aortic rupture or aorti...