How should I prepare for an endovascular aneurysm repair (EVAR)?

You can prepare for an endovascular aneurysm repair (EVAR, also called "stent grafting") by doing the following:
  • Tell your doctor about all medications you take. This includes vitamins, over-the-counter remedies, and herbal supplements.
  • Tell your doctor about any allergies you have.
  • Ask about how to handle your medications. Your doctor might ask you to stop some medications for a certain amount of time before the procedure.
  • Tell your doctor if you have a cold, flu, or fever the day of the procedure.
  • Ask someone to drive you to and from the hospital.
  • Don't eat or drink after midnight the night before, if directed by your doctor. If your doctor allows it, have a liquid breakfast the morning of the procedure.

Continue Learning about Aneurysms

Aneurysms: Deadly but Preventable
Aneurysms: Deadly but Preventable
We rely on our arteries to carry oxygen-rich blood to all the organs, muscles and tissues of the body. Every beat of the heart sends more blood throug...
How can I avoid stressing out about my aneurysm?
Columbia University Department of SurgeryColumbia University Department of Surgery
It is common to feel anxious after receiving the diagnosis of an aortic aneurysm. Let me assure you ...
How important is sizing in aortic stent grafting?
Joshua I. Greenberg, MDJoshua I. Greenberg, MD
Patients will need to undergo tests to measure for the appropriate size stent before aortic stent gr...
What can I expect after fenestrated aortic aneurysm repair?
After fenestrated aortic aneurysm repairs, patients can come home several days sooner than in the st...