How is a small abdominal aortic aneurysm (AAA) treated?

If your abdominal aortic aneurysm (AAA) is small (less than 2 inches across), your doctor may recommend watching and waiting.
  • You'll need tests every 6 months or so to make sure the aneurysm isn't growing.
  • You might take medications to lower your blood pressure and control your cholesterol. You should also make changes to reduce your risk.

Continue Learning about Aneurysms

Aneurysms: Deadly but Preventable
Aneurysms: Deadly but Preventable
We rely on our arteries to carry oxygen-rich blood to all the organs, muscles and tissues of the body. Every beat of the heart sends more blood throug...
How long can I delay scheduling surgery for an aneurysm?
Matthew R. Reynolds, DOMatthew R. Reynolds, DO
In this video, Matthew Reynolds, DO from Largo Medical Center explains the different factors that in...
What can I do to prevent an aortic aneurysm?
Piedmont Heart InstitutePiedmont Heart Institute
The best way to prevent an aortic aneurysm is to avoid the factors that put you at higher risk for o...
How do blood thinners affect my risk for aneurysms?
David W. Drucker, MDDavid W. Drucker, MD
They really don't. We do aneurysm surgeries on people who are on all different types of blood thinne...