How will my doctor decide if I need aortic surgery?

There are cases where surgery is necessary, but this is determined on an individual basis. The size of the aneurysm is an important factor, but other variables also contribute to the surgeon's decision-making process. In the first portion of the aorta (the root), for example, an aneurysm that is over 5 cm begins the conversation about an operation. We then consider the function of the aortic valve. If the valve is diseased, meaning it leaks or is stuck (stenotic) we then may advise surgery. If the valve is a bicuspid valve (meaning it has two leaflets, rather than three), we would advocate for an operation. If a patient has evidence of a connective tissue disease, such as Marfan syndrome, or a family history of an aortic problem (aneurysm or dissection), we recommend surgery.

On the other hand, if a patient has been followed with CT scans for some time, and the aorta is stable, we may continue to recommend follow-up instead of surgical intervention. In a large individual, a 5 cm aneurysm may not be as concerning as it is in a smaller individual. In such cases we may not recommend any further treatment at all. We prefer to have an in-depth conversation and look at all of the studies with the patient to formulate an individual plan that will provide assurance and safety.

Continue Learning about Aneurysms

Aneurysms: Deadly but Preventable
Aneurysms: Deadly but Preventable
We rely on our arteries to carry oxygen-rich blood to all the organs, muscles and tissues of the body. Every beat of the heart sends more blood throug...
What can I expect after endovascular surgery?
Methodist Specialty and Transplant HospitalMethodist Specialty and Transplant Hospital
Most patients recover quickly from endovascular surgery—in most cases, remaining in the hospital for...
How do blood thinners affect my risk for aneurysms?
Dr. David W. Drucker, MDDr. David W. Drucker, MD
They really don't. We do aneurysm surgeries on people who are on all different types of blood thinne...
How long can I delay scheduling surgery for an aneurysm?
Columbia University Department of SurgeryColumbia University Department of Surgery
If a patient has a known aneurysm and surgery is advised, the decision to delay or forego surgery in...