How long can I delay scheduling surgery for an aneurysm?

If a patient has a known aneurysm and surgery is advised, the decision to delay or forego surgery increases the risk for rupture or dissection, both of which are serious emergencies with far poorer outcomes than elective surgery. Moreover, emergency procedures are commonly performed at the hospital that is closest in proximity to where the patient developed symptoms. Many of these hospitals may not offer the same level of care and results as an Aortic Center of Excellence.

Continue Learning about Aneurysms

Aneurysms: Deadly but Preventable
Aneurysms: Deadly but Preventable
We rely on our arteries to carry oxygen-rich blood to all the organs, muscles and tissues of the body. Every beat of the heart sends more blood throug...
What are the benefits of fenestrated aortic aneurysm repair?
Joshua I. Greenberg, MDJoshua I. Greenberg, MD
Fenestrated aortic aneurysm repair is an advancement in the management of aortic disease. In this vi...
How can chronic inflammation lead to aortic aneurysms?
Stephen R. Hazelrigg, MDStephen R. Hazelrigg, MD
Inflammation in the wall of the artery can ultimately weaken it, causing the artery to stretch or ex...
How should I prepare for an endovascular aneurysm repair (EVAR)?
Intermountain HealthcareIntermountain Healthcare
You can prepare for an endovascular aneurysm repair (EVAR, also called "stent grafting") by doin...