How common are abdominal aortic aneurysms (AAA)?

Dr. Joshua I. Greenberg, MD
Vascular Surgeon

Abdominal aortic aneurysms (AAA) are far more common in men than in women. About 200,000 people a year are diagnosed with it. Further, about one in 10 people over the age of 65 have an abdominal aortic aneurysm and may not even know it.

Dr. Michael L. Schwartz, MD
Vascular Surgeon

Abdominal aortic aneurysms (AAA) are uncommon, occurring in approximately 5 percent of the population. They are more common in men over the age of 65. Risk factors include smoking and having a close relative with an aortic aneurysm.

Continue Learning about Aneurysms

Aneurysms: Deadly but Preventable
Aneurysms: Deadly but Preventable
We rely on our arteries to carry oxygen-rich blood to all the organs, muscles and tissues of the body. Every beat of the heart sends more blood throug...
What is endovascular coiling or stenting?
Endovascular coiling (sometimes called endovascular embolization) is a medical procedure used to tr...
What happens during endovascular stent grafting?
Mark J. Russo, MDMark J. Russo, MD
Endovascular stent grafting is similar to the approach that is used for a cardiac catheterization of...
What can I do to prevent an aortic aneurysm?
Piedmont Heart InstitutePiedmont Heart Institute
The best way to prevent an aortic aneurysm is to avoid the factors that put you at higher risk for o...