How do blood thinners affect my risk for aneurysms?

David W. Drucker, MD
They really don't. We do aneurysm surgeries on people who are on all different types of blood thinners. I think that when you're on strong blood thinners like Coumadin, your doctor wants to make sure they’re doing everything for your aneurysm to prevent it from rupturing.

Once you have surgery or a stent put in, you can actually be on any of those blood thinners without a problem, because theoretically, the problem has been corrected.

Trinity Health is a Catholic health care organization that acts in accordance with the Catholic tradition and does not condone or support all practices covered in this site. In case of emergency call 911. This site is educational and not a substitute for professional medical advice, always seek the advice of a qualified healthcare provider.

Continue Learning about Aneurysms

Aneurysms: Deadly but Preventable
Aneurysms: Deadly but Preventable
We rely on our arteries to carry oxygen-rich blood to all the organs, muscles and tissues of the body. Every beat of the heart sends more blood throug...
Who performs endovascular procedures?
Mark J. Russo, MDMark J. Russo, MD
An endovascular stent graft is a treatment for aneurysms of the descending (thoracic and abdominal) ...
Who is a candidate for fenestrated aortic stent grafting?
Joshua I. Greenberg, MDJoshua I. Greenberg, MD
Patients who are candidates for fenestrated aortic stent grafting have aneurysms close to the kidney...
How will my doctor decide if I need aortic surgery?
Columbia University Department of SurgeryColumbia University Department of Surgery
There are cases where surgery is necessary, but this is determined on an individual basis. The size ...