How do blood thinners affect my risk for aneurysms?

David W. Drucker, MD
They really don't. We do aneurysm surgeries on people who are on all different types of blood thinners. I think that when you're on strong blood thinners like Coumadin, your doctor wants to make sure they’re doing everything for your aneurysm to prevent it from rupturing.

Once you have surgery or a stent put in, you can actually be on any of those blood thinners without a problem, because theoretically, the problem has been corrected.

Trinity Health is a Catholic health care organization that acts in accordance with the Catholic tradition and does not condone or support all practices covered in this site. In case of emergency call 911. This site is educational and not a substitute for professional medical advice, always seek the advice of a qualified healthcare provider.

Continue Learning about Aneurysms

Aneurysms

Aneurysms form balloons in weakened arteries of our bodies, potentially causing life-threatening problems such as a stroke. Although aneurysms can form in any weakened artery, they commonly occur in the arteries of the brain and i...

n the aorta, the central artery that extends from your heart through the center of your abdomen and chest. Certain medical conditions, such as high blood pressure, can weaken the arteries, which deliver oxygenated blood from our heart to the rest of our bodies. The pressure of blood traveling through the arteries can lead to this balloon-like bulge. You can have an aneurysm for years without symptoms or problems. Others can have an aneurysm that pops, which can lead to a stroke if bleeding occurs in the brain. Ruptured aneurysms must be treated quickly, usually within minutes, or it can become deadly: about 50% of all ruptured aneurysms are fatal.