How do blood thinners affect my risk for aneurysms?

Dr. David W. Drucker, MD
Cardiologist (Heart Specialist)

They really don't. We do aneurysm surgeries on people who are on all different types of blood thinners. I think that when you're on strong blood thinners like Coumadin, your doctor wants to make sure they’re doing everything for your aneurysm to prevent it from rupturing.

Once you have surgery or a stent put in, you can actually be on any of those blood thinners without a problem, because theoretically, the problem has been corrected.

Continue Learning about Aneurysms

Aneurysms: Deadly but Preventable
Aneurysms: Deadly but Preventable
We rely on our arteries to carry oxygen-rich blood to all the organs, muscles and tissues of the body. Every beat of the heart sends more blood throug...
What are my chances of dying if my aneurysm ruptures?
Dr. Michael L. Schwartz, MDDr. Michael L. Schwartz, MD
If your aneurysm ruptures, the outcome could be lethal. If you make it to a hospital in time, your c...
What is a less-invasive way of treating a thoraco-abdominal aneurysm?
The Society of Thoracic SurgeonsThe Society of Thoracic Surgeons
Treating aneurysms of the thoracic and abdominal aorta using a less invasive endovascular approach, ...
What is minimally invasive or endovascular surgery?
Mark J. Russo, MDMark J. Russo, MD
Rather than making a large incision through the breastbone (sternum) to gain access to the heart, mi...