How do blood thinners affect my risk for aneurysms?

Dr. David W. Drucker, MD
Cardiologist (Heart Specialist)

They really don't. We do aneurysm surgeries on people who are on all different types of blood thinners. I think that when you're on strong blood thinners like Coumadin, your doctor wants to make sure they’re doing everything for your aneurysm to prevent it from rupturing.

Once you have surgery or a stent put in, you can actually be on any of those blood thinners without a problem, because theoretically, the problem has been corrected.

Continue Learning about Aneurysms

Aneurysms: Deadly but Preventable
Aneurysms: Deadly but Preventable
We rely on our arteries to carry oxygen-rich blood to all the organs, muscles and tissues of the body. Every beat of the heart sends more blood throug...
What happens during endovascular stent grafting?
Mark J. Russo, MDMark J. Russo, MD
Endovascular stent grafting is similar to the approach that is used for a cardiac catheterization of...
What are the risk factors for abdominal aortic aneurysms (AAA)?
Dr. Joshua I. Greenberg, MDDr. Joshua I. Greenberg, MD
The risk factors for abdominal aortic aneurysm (AAA) are smoking, followed by high blood pressure an...
What happens if an aortic aneurysm bursts?
Dr. Emily A. Farkas, MDDr. Emily A. Farkas, MD
Because an aortic aneurysm is an enlargement of the largest blood vessel in our body, a rupture or ‘...